Beaufort Castle

Highland, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Kilmorack
District: Highland
County: Highland
Latitude/Longitude: 57.4527, -4.49033
Postcode: IV4 7BE
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Kilmorack

Beaufort Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

J M Wardrop, 1880, probably incorporating earlier fabric;
alterations and restoration after fire (1937) by Reginald
Fairlie, 1938 (drawing room wing and entrance hall). Large
Scottish Baronial mansion, mainly 3 storeys and attic. All
tooled red sneck course ashlar with polished ashlar dressings.
Main entrance to right (E) of S elevation reached by shallow
flight steps at centre of large square tower rising 6 storeys
with flanking drum tower projecting at E. Corbelled and
crenellated wallhead with corbelled and canted oriel window
high in centre of S front of tower. Further 2-storey canted
bay window in lower block to left (W) of main entrance
adjoining 5-storey square tower at SW angle with further
corbelled attic storey and angle bartizans.
3-storey, 3-bay drawing room wing at E, with 1st floor drawing
room lit by 3 large windows in south elevation and served
by round-headed garden entrance in E gable leading to
balustraded flight steps. Heavy angle buttresses topped by
bartizans with conical roofs flank E gable and stairs.
Chapel wing at NW, on W gable, bell turret, rose window with
geometric tracery and apex cross.
Mainly multi-pane glazing to varied fenestration, with some
pedimented dormers rising from wallhead; corniced ridge
and end stacks; slate roofs; cast- and wrought iron weather
vane initialled SL. S and E fronts enclosed by high coped
walled garden, with wrought iron double gates at S and E
Service court at W enclosed by high crenellated wall entered
through round-headed archway topped by birdcage bellcote.
Interior; principal rooms on 1st floor; entrance hall with
stone staircase leading to 1st floor hall and landing from
which opens inner hall (in turn leading to chapel) and
drawing room. Drawing room with high, simple coved ceiling
with cornice, carved chimney piece and dado. Wide and shallow
principal staircase (polished wood) with turned wooden
balusters rises form 1st to 2nd floor. "Blue room" with
early 19th century white marble chimney piece with mantel
shelf supported by fluted shafts and with angle in carved
centre panel.
Chapel; at 1st floor rising 2 storeys in height and lit by
long pointed headed windows in N elevation. Entrance off
landing reached from inner hall and also by staircase direct
from north doorway. Pointed-headed entrance with double-leaf
plank doors. Carved white marble reredos and altar against W
gable; (liturgical E); reredos with outer and centre crocketted pinnacles flanking carved panels and supported by kneeling
angels. High timber ribbed ceiling; tripple pointed headed
entrances at NW under continous hoodmould leading to
sacristy.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |