Brodie Castle

Moray, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Dyke
District: Moray
County: Moray
Latitude/Longitude: 57.5984, -3.70894
Postcode: IV36 2TD
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Dyke
Brodie Castle is a 16th century Z-plan tower house, founded by Alexander Brodie. The old tower is of four storeys and a garret, with a wide projecting stair turret in the re-entrant angle. Additions were made to the castle in the 17th and 19th century and family may have been associated with the area from 1160.

Brodie Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

Tower-house with Scottish Baronial alterations and additions. Substantial mansion dating variously from 1567 to 1852. Additions of 1824 by William Burn, completed by James Wylson, circa 1840-1852. Restored 1978-80. Mainly 3-storeys, roughly L-plan incorporating original 16th century Z-plan tower.
Harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Main S elevation incorporates at W 1567 tower house with earlier 17th century addition; cap-house, crenellated corbelled wallhead, water spouts and decorative gablets to dormer windows. Entrance in re-entrant angle with projecting stair turret rising from 1st floor terminating with slender conical roof.
Gabled E portion of 1824-52 with wide 5-bay return E garden front with projecting outer gables. Hoodmoulded, mullioned and transomed fenestration, canted windows, shaped and crowstepped gables. 5-bay single storey and attic wing with similar fenestration extends at right angles at NE. Varied glazing; coped end, wallhead and ridge stacks; slate roof.
INTERIOR: entrance hall, James Wylson, circa 1845 adaption of earlier vaulted undercroft; stumpy (circa 1845) columns with foliated capitals; re-set inscribed stone plaques.
LIBRARY: circa 1845, lined with wooden bookcases under continuous egg and dart frieze.
BLUE SITTING ROOM: vaulted ceiling with embossed plaster motifs and strapwork of 1635-40.
RED DRAWING ROOM: originally 1st floor hall of 1567 castle re-decorated 1820's by William Burn; groined plaster ceiling; ornate panelled chimneypiece with carved figures rising to ceiling height.
DINING ROOM: former 1st floor hall of 17th century wing. Late 17th century heavily embossed ceiling, grained and stained circa 1825. Panelling and doors also grained.
DRAWING ROOM: William Burn, 1824 with painted decoration on architraves, over-doors and ceiling probably dating from 1860's (restored 1982).
BEST BED CHAMBER: 17th century plaster ceiling frieze and corner motifs.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |