Calshot Castle

Hampshire, England

City/Town/Village: Calshot
District: New Forest
County: Hampshire
Latitude/Longitude: 50.8183, -1.30746
Postcode: SO4 1BR
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Calshot
This picturesque castle set in Calshot, a coastal village in Southampton, Hampshire, England. This beautiful village provides a perfect relaxing family day out by the coast. This artillery fort, built by Henry VIII to defend the sea passage to Southampton, was recently used as a Navy and RAF base.
Admission
Adults: £2.50
Children: £1.50
Concessions: £1.80
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Calshot Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

FAWLEY CALSHOT
SU 40 SE
13/13 Calshot Castle
II*

Castle. 1538-41 for Henry VIII's coastal defences, altered C18, 1868-71
and C20, twice restored by DoE 1985. Dressed squared Portland stone, brick
and old plain tile roofed addition. Plan of circular moat around circular
island with wall around edge, raised to 3 storeys on one quadrant, for gate
house. In centre of island 3? storey keep tower. Both sides of moat faced
in dressed stone, with moulded coping. On inner side wall rises from coping
with open-topped embrasure. The 3 storey quadrant has slightly projecting
full-height gatehouse. C20 bridge stands in front of recessed 2 deep order
pointed archway with double doors. Each side pilaster with impost to
chevron hood. Panel over, framed by pilasters with early Renaissance
decoration. Each side loopholes. 3rd floor heavy moulded string course,
that wall originally coping before wall was raised in C18. In centre,
cutting string is 12-pane sash. Either side of gateway are embrasures now
fitted with 2-light casements and heavy moulded string course at head of
gateway level. Central keep tower has only pointed doorway on ground floor.
Moulded 1st floor string. On 1st floor tall embrasures with 12-pane sashes.
2nd floor raised band. On 1st floor wider embrasures with 12-pane sashes,
set slightly off-centre to those on 1st floor. Moulded cornice to tall
parapet that has additional floor behind it. Building now in Ancient
Monuments guardianship and owned by Hampshire County Council.


Listing NGR: SP4887602487

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |