Delgatie Castle

Aberdeenshire, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Turriff
District: Aberdeenshire
County: Aberdeenshire
Latitude/Longitude: 57.5442, -2.41185
Postcode: AB53 5TE
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Turriff

Delgatie Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

TOWER HOUSE: 1570-79, L-plan, 69' x 41' main jamb 4-storey
(ground floor has dungeon mezzanine) and attic, wing 5-storey
and cape-house. Harled, wing retains corbelled ashlar parapet
with bartizans, upper part of main jamb has crowstepped gables,
perhaps as result of late change of plan, or perhaps as result
of repairs in 1597 following damage in 1594. Interior: main jamb
has entrance passage with groin vaulted vestibule at original
entrance on E side, main part vaulted in 2 compartments, hall
in S, guard room and dungeon over in N; circular turnpike stair
centre of S side; wing vaulted in one compartment. 1st floor; rib-vaulted solar in wing, hall remodelled as ballroom c 1830,
North Drawing Room about same date; Tulip Room and Painted Room
at 2nd and 3rd in wing have painted ceilings of 1597, Tulip Room
retains beams only.
N re-entrant angle infilled at ground and 1st floors 18th
century further 2nd and 3rd floor additions 19th century,
baronial S porch and ballroom bay window c 1850, perhaps by
A & W Reid.
WINGS: semi-elliptical rusticated arches probably c 1768,
originally open, perhaps as in-and-out gates for courtyard,
now removed; extended as fanciful symmetrical gothick
composition later 18th century, 2 single-storey wings with
3 ogee-headed windows having cross finials, dining-room (also
known as 'The Chapel') W wing, kitchen in E wing; short
screen walls with buttresses, pinnacles, gablet and gothic
arch terminate composition; W screen has dummy doocot, and
is extended by further concave-gabled screen wall into which
late mediaeval tomb recess and other fragments are incorporated.
Circa 1850 dining room S frontage rebuilt as 3-window bow,
kitchen wing raised to 2-storey with battlemented parapet, and
addition built behind E screen wall, perhaps later.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |