Farleigh Hungerford Castle

Somerset, England

City/Town/Village: Westwood
District: Mendip
County: Somerset
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3164, -2.28628
Postcode: BA2 7RS
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Westwood
In a picturesque valley of the river Frome, on the border between Wiltshire and Somerset and nine miles from Bath stands the remains of Farleigh Hungerford Castle. Started in the 14th century it still has much for the visitor to enjoy and provides a great day out for families with children, couples and even walkers enjoying the beautiful surrounding countryside. This fortified mansion was occupied for 300 years by the remarkable Hungerford family and today their intriguing, yet sometimes gruesome stories are told through graphic interpretation panels and a free audio tour. There are many hidden treasures - the chapel with rare medieval wall paintings and family tombs; extensive displays in the Priest's house; and for those who are brave enough to enter the crypt, there's the best collection of human-shaped lead coffins in Britain.
Admission
Adults: £3.80
Children: £1.90 (5-15yrs)
Concessions: £3.20
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Farleigh Hungerford Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

ST85NW NORTON ST. PHILIP CP
FARLEIGH HUNGERFORD

2/239 Farleigh Hungerford Castle

-

GV I

Castle. Site of early C14 Manor House for Montfort family, fortified 1370-1380 for Sir Thomas de Hungerford, Barbican added c1420-30 for Sir Walter Hungerford, described as "very ruinous" by 1701. Coursed rough faced Doulting stone.
Displayed foundations of Manor House with Hall and domestic range, rectangular Inner Court enclosed by partly surviving curtain walls on 4-sides with circular tower at each angle. Inner Gate; at middle of south side remains of 2 round
fronted towers with paved passage. Defensive ditches on west and south, once spaned by drawbridge to Inner Gate. To the south, the Barbican enclosing the Outer Court and Chapel of St. Leonard (qv) partly surviving curtain walls and
south and south-west towers with defensive ditches on all 3 sides. Main entrance by East Gate, once with drawbridge, now a causeway, ditch filled and domestic buildings erected c1610-20, only displayed foundations survive. 2-storey Gate
house pointed arch set in square headed recess to receive drawbridge above; holes to receive drawbridge chains and, centrally the sickle badge of the Hungerfords; relieving arch then 2-light stone mullioned window with dripmould surmounted by family coat of arms of the Hungerfords. West gate; mostly demolished, north jamb of archway survives.
Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No.4) (Department of the Environment, Farleigh Hungerford Castle, 1979)


Listing NGR: ST8007957661

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |