Foulis Castle

Highland, Scotland

City/Town/Village: Ardullie
District: Highland
County: Highland
Latitude/Longitude: 57.6447, -4.36509
Postcode: IV16 9UU
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Ardullie

Foulis Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

Dated 1754, 1777 and 1792, but incorporating parts of earlier
buildings in the NE and SE ranges. Now forms E-plan mansion,
harled with ashlar dressings and extensive use of ashlar
sandstone margins, the facade regularised to give symmetrical
SE, NE & SW elevations, the NW Frontage still retains
elements of previous building and is not symmetrical.
NW E-plan elevation; projecting central 4-storey over
basement, wide canted tower turning to elongated octagon
above main roof; centre ground floor pedimented entrance
with moulded lugged architraves, approached by flight steps
over-sailing basement with decorative cast-iron balustrade;
margined windows with bracketted cill-in all floors in 3
canted bays; dated 1754 over 3rd floor central window;
piended slate roof terminating with gilded ball finials;
look-out platform to SE. Tower flanked by lower bays (with
some blocked fenestration) and projecting 3-bay wings of
unequal width.
NW elevation forms SE side of large service courtyard with
low 2-storey ranges of offices, bakehouse, etc., on SW and NE,
including 2 matching pavilions with vaulted ground floors
with arched entrances and forestairs, that to left with 1
(possibly 2) gun loops and small barred window; round-
headed archways in east and west (west dated 1792); pair
blind octagonal occuli in north face of courtyard wall
flanking round-headed main entrance with channelled ashlar
surround and moulded imposts, probably of 1790 date. SW
elevation; long 2-storey and dormerless attic over raised
basement, 11-bay facade with slightly advanced and
pedimented centre 3 bays not aligned on rear tower; full
height canted bays at east and west gables with piended
roofs, centre corniced entrance approached by perron with
basement door below with Gibbs surround; original decorative
cast-iron balustrade with pair cast-iron lamp standards
(imported from Edinburgh circa 1970) and similar lamp
projected on brackets above doorway. Moulded cornice to
pediment with centre coat of arms and 1777 datestone; 3
decorative terminal stone urns.
Multi-pane glazing throughout, some with thick mid-18th
century astragals band and cill courses; moulded skews and
eaves cornice; margined end and ridge stacks; piended slate
roofs; gilded ridge ball finials.
Interior: elegant cantilevered staircase with turned wood
balusters and broken strings (the surviving roll-moulded
detail suggests that the treads were re-used from a previous
stair); stone newel stair in NE wing (possible from earlier
castle).
Public rooms; dining room with simple cornice, probably
reappointed at end of 18th century when canted bay added roll
moulded surround to fireplace and good cast-iron grate (circa
1800) with Munro motto "Dread God".
Large drawing room late 18th century 1-1/2 storeys high,
fluted frieze with rosettes, symmetrically placed doors and
cupboards; original chimney piece removed. 1st floor rooms
mainly raised and fielded panelling of mid-18th century date.
The house contains many good cast-iron grates, circa 1800 and
2 free standing ornamental cast-iron stoves, 1 dated 1786,
Cooper and Sons (still working). The basement contains
kitchen with many fittings, possibly late 18th/early 19th
century. Part of SW basement now Clan Museum, the wattle and
daub partition construction displayed.

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |