Hadleigh Castle

Essex, England

City/Town/Village: Hadleigh
District: Castle Point
County: Essex
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5437, 0.610268

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Hadleigh
The romantic ruins of a royal castle overlooking the Essex marshes. Hadleigh was begun in about 1215 by Hubert de Burgh, but extensively refortified by Edward III during the Hundred Years War, becoming a favourite residence of the ageing king. The barbican and two striking drum towers ' one later used by Georgian revenue men looking out for smugglers ' are part of his substantial building works during the 1360s.
Admission
Adults: Free
Children: Free
Concessions: Free
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Hadleigh Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

HADLEIGH OFF CASTLE LANE
TQ 88 NW
2/6 Hadleigh Castle
7-8-52
- I

Ruins of castle rebuilt by Edward III mid-Late C14 on the site of a castle
built by Hubert de Burgh early C13. Reigate stone, ragstone some rubble and
tiles, much cockle shell in mortar. Built on a spur overlooking the Thames
estuary most of the southern features have slipped to a lower level. Only the
foundations or bases of the curtain wall remain between the 8 towers, most of
which are low in height. The 3 western towers of square plan, the others
circular. To the south and east of the north west square and circular high
towers are foundations of kitchen buildings, a hall and solar and a C16 lead
melting hearth. The Barbican adjoins the 3 storey High Tower to the west. Low
level north tower. The north east tower outer walls are of 3 storeys, with
plinth and band of panelled stone and knapped flint over, 2 small square headed
windows to ground and first floors and part of a similar window to upper storey,
part of a flue to inner wall. South east tower of 3 storeys, with only the
western face demolished. Plinth. Knapped flint band over. Each floor with 3
square headed variously spaced windows visible externally. Holes for bars
visible. Various putlog holes. Within the south west wall is a garderobe, with
chutes discharging externally onto the plinth through 3 square headed openings
with sloped cills. 2 flues to north. The south side of the bailey has slipped
downhill, but remains of the south and south west towers can be identified. Wall
bases of former residential buildings lie between these 2 towers. Low level
remains of west tower. The castle is of exceptional interest, being the only
work of its type in the country. There is documentary evidence of the progress
of the work in 1365-6. Essex Archaeological Society Transactions. N.S. 1, 86 et
sq. S.A.M. RCHM 2.


Listing NGR: TQ8097886090

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |