Hylton Castle

Tyne and Wear, England

City/Town/Village: Pallion
District: Sunderland
County: Tyne and Wear
Latitude/Longitude: 54.9221, -1.44232

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Pallion
The distinctive and highly decorative gatehouse-tower of a castle built by the wealthy Sir William Hylton, shortly before 1400. Originally containing four floors of self-contained family accommodation, its entrance front displays royal and family heraldry, including Richard II's white hart badge.
Admission
Adults: Free
Children: Free
Concessions: Free
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Hylton Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:


SUNDERLAND

NZ35NE CRAIGAVON ROAD
920-1/4/54 (East side)
25/02/49 Hylton Castle
(Formerly Listed as:
WASHINGTON ROAD, Castletown
(South side)
Hylton Castle)

GV I

Fortified tower-house in form of gatehouse. c1400. For Sir
William Hylton. Extensively altered in early C18 for John
Hylton who altered windows, added N wing, reconstructed
interior. His son John added S wing. 1860s wings demolished,
most windows altered and inside altered for William Briggs.
Mid C20 consolidation and restoration of shell for Ministry of
Works. Ashlar.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 windows, in bays defined by turrets.
Steps up to central doorway of C19 pointed arch on nookshafts
with stone balcony above to 3-light window of 2-storey hall
recessed behind segmental arch to battlements; heraldic
devices to right of second-floor window and on turret to left.
Flanking turrets have blind panel to right of door, lancets
above, and small square openings below machicolated
battlements. Side bays have 3-light ground-floor windows and
paired lights on upper floors below machicolated parapets.
Angle turrets, without openings, have similar parapets. All
front windows 1860s lancets, blocked on first floor and empty
on second floor. Left return has one door in largely
reconstructed wall; right return has 2-storey square
projecting bay window of 1860, single first-floor and paired
second-floor medieval lancets. Rear elevation has projecting
central tower with windows on 5 floors, which were probably
2-storey chapel through first and second, with chambers over
and stair at left. C18 Gothic screens on ground and first
floors, now blocked; medieval lancets above, with large
heraldic achievement at centre on second floor which has arms
and crest of Sir William Hylton below Richard II badge of
white hart. Right bay has medieval windows on upper floors.
Machicolated parapets between corner turrets and central
tower, altered parapet to tower. No roof.
INTERIOR: shows lower courses of ground floor partition walls
on restored ground level; all floors removed except in rear
tower which has medieval pointed-arched door to stair in use
to upper floors. Oven in wall thickness at SE corner;
portcullis slot over door; traces of ground floor vaults;
medieval door and fireplace detail; roof truss corbels with
carving; stone bench to embrasure of W window of first-floor
chamber. Rear tower has diagonal chamfer stops and shouldered
lintels to doors; chambers over chapel have original hooded
fireplaces with corbelled chamfered jambs and eroded chamfer
stops.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
(Official Handbooks: Morley BM: Hylton Castle, Tyne and Wear:
London: 1979-).


Listing NGR: NZ3578358790

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |