Lincoln Castle

Lincolnshire, England

City/Town/Village: Lincoln
District: Lincoln
County: Lincolnshire
Latitude/Longitude: 53.2349, -0.538693
Postcode: LN1 3GA
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

Privately Owned

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Lincoln
Lincoln Castle is an 11th century earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William the Conqueror. Built on the site of the original Roman Fort of Lindum, the 12th century curtain wall is flanked by two mottes, two gates, and Cobb Hall, a large round tower. On one motte stands the square 14th century Observatory Tower, while a 12th century shell keep crowns the other motte. The East Gate is flanked by two 13th century round turrets and was protected by a barbican, the massive square West Gatehouse and barbican was sealed in the 14th century and only re-opened in 1993. A Georgian building in the bailey contains one of the original Magna Carta documents sealed by King John. To the west of the castle is the Bishops Palace.

Lincoln Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

LINCOLN

SK9771NW CASTLE HILL
1941-1/8/62 Lincoln Castle
15/08/73
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE HILL
Castle remains, Observatory Tower at
the Castle)
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE HILL
Lodge on north side of entrance to
Castle)

GV I

Castle. 1068, C12, C13, C14, C19. Restored C20. Built for
William I. Coursed and squared stone and herringbone rubble,
with ashlar dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN: quadrangular curtain wall, east gateway and lodges,
observatory tower, Lucy Tower (keep), west gate, Cobb Hall
(north-east angle tower).
EXTERIOR: restored curtain wall has a crenellated parapet and
wall walk. East gateway, C11, extended C14, has a restored
double chamfered gateway and above, semicircular tourelles,
each with a doorway. Between them, a pointed wall. Under the
entrance arch, a C11 tunnel vault. Inside the gateway, a pair
of crenellated mid C19 lodges in the form of a barbican.
Semicircular western ends, 2 storeys, each with 3 stone
mullioned double lancets on each floor, with hoodmoulds.
Between them, a pointed archway with crenellated crest.
On the north wall inside the gateway, a reset canted C15 oriel
window with 3 ogee headed lancets and crocketed pinnacles,
from a house in the High Street opposite St Mary's Guildhall.
Square observatory tower, C11, to south-east, has C14 eastern
additions and extensive mid C19 remodelling. String course,
corbelled and crenellated C19 parapets, single lancet windows.
West side has a garderobe shaft in the form of a buttress,
flanked to left by a pointed doorway with a lancet above it.
East side has square corner towers. South side has sham arrow
slits. Above, to east, a chamfered pointed doorway and a
similarly chamfered ogee headed doorway, C14.
In the south-west corner, a C19 round tower with stepped
rectangular lights.
To the south, the motte and Lucy Tower, late C12, restored
C19. Roofless. Polygonal plan with string course, plain
buttresses, and consolidated parapet.
Projecting north-eastern gateway with billeted round arched




outer opening and segmental inner opening with hoodmould.
South-western minor entrance has a segmental head. To the
south-west, a small roofless chamber.
Square west gatehouse, C11, rebuilt 1233, has a blocked round
headed opening with an inserted doorway flanked by the remains
of barbican walls. Above, 2 slit windows and a blocked access
doorway to the right. Cobb Hall, C13, reduced in height and
remodelled C19, has a semicircular outer face with slit
windows, and a square inner face with a chamfered doorway
flanked by single slit windows. Crenellated parapet.
INTERIOR: 2 storeys with chamfered rib vaulting forming 4
vaulted cells in the lower part and 6 radial cells in the
rounded end of the upper storey. This building was formerly
used as a place of execution, and fittings for the gallows
remain on the outer parapet.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, County No.1.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 505-506; Hill, Sir F: A short history of
Lincoln: Lincoln: 1979-: 22-24).



Listing NGR: SK9763271871

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |