Moreton Corbet Castle

Shropshire, England

City/Town/Village: Moreton Corbet
District: Shropshire
County: Shropshire
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8056, -2.65163

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Moreton Corbet
The ruins of the medieval castle and Tudor manor house of the Corbets are dominated by the theatrical shell of an ambitious Elizabethan mansion wing in Italianate style, which was devastated during the Civil War. Fine Corbet monuments fill the adjacent church. Information panels illustrate the 500-year history of the castle.
Admission
Adults: Free
Children: Free
Concessions: Free
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Moreton Corbet Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

SJ 5623-5723 MORETON CORBET C.P. MORETON CORBET

18/68 Moreton Corbet Castle
28.10.60 [formerly listed
as Moreton Corbet
(Ruins of Hall and
Castle) (Ministry
of Works)]

GV I

Castle, now ruined. Circa 1200 and C14, altered and enlarged in the
mid- and late C16 (dated 1576 and 1578) for Sir Andrew Corbet (d.1579)
and Robert Corbet (d. 1583). Red and yellow/grey sandstone; dressed
stone and ashlar. Roughly-triangular plan. Keep of c.1200 to south-
west, C14 gatehouse to north altered in late C16, C12 east range altered
in the 1560's, and L-shaped south range dated 1578. Keep: square plan.
3 storeys. Chamfered plinth, and set-back pilaster buttresses, returning
to square at top and bottom (cf.Wattlesborough Castle. Alberbury with cardeston C.P. -
not included on this list). Large first-floor fireplace with remains
of hood and octagonal shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Curtain wall:
section of wall between keep and gatehouse with chamfered plinth and
bastions at intervals. Gatehouse: 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth. Central
continuously chamfered archway with remains of C16 first-floor window
above. First-floor chamfered rectangular side windows. Carved elephant
and castle and datestone: "S A C/1579" above entrance. East range:
inserted C16 windows, and fireplaces internally. South range: L-plan.
2 storeys and attic. 1:3:1:3:1 bays. Moulded plinth. Applied orders,
Doric to ground floor and Ionic to first floor, with carved pedestals
(beasts at corners) and full entablatures (Doric with carved devices).
Parapet with shell lunettes and obelisks with figures (now mostly gone).
3-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Projecting bays with
5-light mullioned and transomed windows and shaped gables with triangular-
pedimented 3-light windows. Small doorways in second and seventh bays
with doorcases consisting of small caryatids with Ionic capitals supporting
entablatures with uncarved medallions. 2-bay left-hand return front.
Rear wing largely demolished. Interior of southern range: various fireplaces.
One in room to left of centre with moulded surround, cornice and chamfered-
rustication to right. Brick-lined walls. The architect of the southern
range is not known but it might have been Robert Corbet who travelled
throughout Europe in the course of his diplomatic missions and is known
to have visited Italy, France and the Low Countries. The range was
unfinished at the time of Robert Corbet's death in 1583. It was set
on fire by the Parliamentarian force during the Civil War but a drawing
records the date 1667 on one of the stacks which suggests that building
work continued afterwards. John H. Haycock prepared designs for the
rebuilding of the house in 1796 but they remained unexecuted. County
Ancient Monument No. 137. B.O.E., pp.204-5; Colvin, pp.407-8, The Archeological
Journal, Vol. CXIII, p.221 and Vol. 138, pp.44-46 Ed. Francis Leach,
The County Seats of Shropshire, Shrewsbury (1891) pp.74-9; Mrs Frances
Stackhouse Acton, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868),
PP.36-7.


Listing NGR: SJ5612523131

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |