Naworth Castle

Cumbria, England

City/Town/Village: Brampton
District: Carlisle
County: Cumbria
Latitude/Longitude: 54.956, -2.68866
Postcode: CA8 2HN
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

Privately Owned

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Brampton
Naworth Castle was originally a 13th century fortified manor house or stone tower house, founded by de Multon family. In 1335, Ranulph de Dacre founded the stone castle, when granted a licence to crenellate and added the Dacre Tower and parts of the curtain wall. Remodelled in the 16th and 17th century, it is now an impressive irregular quadrangular fortress. The high curtain wall has small turrets, in the centre and on the angles and is dominated by two, five storey towers. The 16th century courtyard entrance, still has its yett and is protected by the remains of a barmkin wall, a gatehouse and a squat tower flanking the ditch.

Naworth Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

NY 56 SE BRAMPTON NAWORTH

11/58 Naworth Castle

14.9.54 I

Castle and seat of the Earls of Carlisle. Probably late C13, first mentioned in
1323 (V.C.H. Cumberland p.255), licence to crenellate, 1335, granted to Ranulph
de Dacre; additions c1520, for and by, Thomas Lord Dacre; further additions 1602
(date & initials W.H. on rainwater head), for Lord William Howard; Vanburgh
designed music gallery and screen for 3rd Earl and may have been responsible for
work on the kitchen offices; Colvin mentions work by C.H. Tatham for the 5th
Earl; Salvin restored the north and east ranges after the fire of 1844.
Calciferous and red dressed sandstone, lead and slate roofs, stone chimney
stacks. Formerly: tower house (Dacre Tower) with south curtain wall; hall and
chapel ranges with north-east angle gate tower (Lord William Howard's Tower) all
altered c1520 and 1602; Morpeth Tower added to hall, 1845; C18 & C19 west and
south range with Stanley Tower of 1881. East range living quarters of 2
storeys, 9 bays, has flanking 3 storey, one bay towers, with battlemented
parapets to each. Small square headed mullioned windows with square leaded
panes: large and small round headed mullioned windows to courtyard, have
diamond leaded panes. South curtain wall has large C16 pointed arch, with
recessed chamfered surround and large iron studded gates, giving access to large
open courtyard; arms of Lord William Howard above. North range has external but
engaged, Morpeth Tower of 2 storeys, 2 bays: hall of 2 storeys, 9 bays, has
raised courtyard entrance, with carved stone panel of Dacre arms above. Square
2-light and round headed 3-light mullioned windows have diamond leaded panes.
Battlemented parapet and 1982 slate roof, replacing 1845 lead (grant aided by
Historic Buildings Council). West range, 3 storeys, 6 bays, is of similar
details, formerly kitchens and servants'quarters, now let as flats. Interior has
wood panelled library and other panelled rooms by C.J. Ferguson, with painted
gesso overmantel panel of The Battle of Flodden by Burne-Jones and Sir E. Boehm,
1882. Hall gutted by fire 1844, but retains large C16 fireplace with segmental
head: wooden hammer beam roof by Salvin 1845. Lord William Howard's tower is
supported on ribbed arches crossing the angle of the north-east walls. Lord
William's chamber has timber ceiling, c1350, from Kirkoswald Castle, with
moulded beams and bosses and panels filled with flowing tracery. The oratory
contains part of a screen from Lanercost Priory with crocketed ogee panels and a
German painting dated 1514, representing the Flagellation, Crucifixion and
Resurrection. Dacre Tower has ground floor iron yett. See, Transactions,
Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, iv,
p.486-509; Country Life, 25 March 1911, p.414-22.


Listing NGR: NY5600762609

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |