Okehampton Castle

Devon, England

City/Town/Village: Okehampton
District: West Devon
County: Devon
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7307, -4.00494
Postcode: EX20 1JA
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Okehampton
The remains of the largest castle in Devon, in an outstandingly picturesque setting on a wooded spur above the rushing River Okement. Begun soon after the Norman Conquest as a motte and bailey castle with a stone keep, it was converted into a sumptuous residence in the 14th century by Hugh Courtenay, Earl of Devon,much of whose work survives. After the last Courtenay owner fell foul of Henry VIII in 1538, it declined into an allegedly haunted ruin. Riverside picnic area and woodland walks nearby.
Admission
Adults: £3.50
Children: £1.80 (5-15 years)
Concessions: £3.00
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Okehampton Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

OKEHAMPTON HAMLETS
SX 59 SE

9/103 Okehampton Castle
-

- I

Castle. The oldest fabric dates from the C11 with some evidence of C13, much
rebuilt and extended in early C14. Constructed of a mixture of granite, metamorphic
rocks and shale.
The earliest structure is the C11 keep standing on its motte, there is some evidence
of C13 buildings in the main bailey but most of the surviving structure dates from
an early C14 rebuild and extension of the site when the keep was also enlarged.
Dating from this time is the hall, the kitchen range, a chapel and priests
accommodation, extensive lodgings, a main gatehouse and a barbican gatehouse.
Further minor additions were made in the late C14 and C15 and the late C17.
The structure is now ruinous with the extant remains varying in their degree of
survival but the external fabric is in places relatively complete. The motte and
keep are to the south-west with the bailey buildings ranging down the valley to the
north east.
The castle is first mentioned in 1086 in Domesday Book when it was the centre of the
estates of Baldwin de Brionne who was Sheriff of Devon. In 1173 the castle passed
into the hands of the Courtenay family who held it until 1509.
This castle holds a strategic point at the head of the valley and as such has great
landscape value. From the extensive survival of the buildings a reconstruction of
the early C14 layout is possible and it is one of the more complete castle sites in
Devon.
Source: H.M.S.O. Offical Handbook - R. A. Higham Ancient Monument No


Listing NGR: SX5835594271

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |