Warwick Castle

Warwickshire, England

City/Town/Village: Warwick
District: Warwick
County: Warwickshire
Latitude/Longitude: 52.2793, -1.58478
Postcode: CV34 4QX
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

Privately Owned

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Warwick
Warwick Castle is an earthwork motte and bailey fortress, founded by William the Conqueror in 1068. In the mid 13th century, John de Plessis founded the stone castle, when crowning the motte with a shell keep. The unique 14th century towers, remarkable mid 15th century gatehouse and barbican, give strong defence to the enclosure and the weaker Great Hall is protected by the river cliff. The motte and the Ghost Tower stand at one end, with the Gatehouse, Guy's Tower and Caesar's Tower at the other. In-between, facing the town, is part of Richard of Gloucester's unfinished great keep, with only two of the four towers remaining.

Warwick Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

1.
1781 Warwick Castle

SP 2864 NW 1/301 10.1.53.

I GV

2.
Early site, probably dating from pre-Norman times. Much mediaeval work
remains. Good C18 and later additions. In 1871 a fire gutted the Great
Hall and East Wing, these being restored by Anthony Salvin. This castle,
(containing a fine collection of antiques and works of art) is considered
of very great national interest. Main block with C14 walls and vaulted
undercroft. Caesan's tower and Guy's tower, the Gatehouse and its Barbican
also C14. The curtain walls may date from this period. Bear and Clarence
towers C15, left incomplete 1485 and later given battlements; probably
intended as a stronghold within the castle similar to that at Raglan.
Late C17 internal features include exceptional plasterwork and wood carvings
to the Cedar Room by Roger and William Hurlbut, completed 1678. Altered
1753-5 by Lancelot Brown, who rebuilt the porch and stairway to the Great
Hall. Porch extended forward and additional rooms built beside it, 1763-9,
by Timothy Lightoler. Watergate tower restored by A Salvin 1861-3. AM.
VCH, viii, pp.454-64.

Warwick Castle, with its Boundary Walls, Stables, Conservatory, Mill
and Lodge form a group.


Listing NGR: SP2842464656

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |