Yarmouth Castle

Isle of Wight, England

City/Town/Village: Yarmouth
District: Isle of Wight
County: Isle of Wight
Latitude/Longitude: 50.7051, -1.50216
Postcode: PO41 0PB
(postcode is for sat-nav purposes only, and may not represent the actual address of the castle)

Owner

English Heritage

Accomodation Links

Hotels and Guest Houses in Yarmouth
Yarmouth Castle, Isle of Wight provides a magnificent picnic spot, with views over the Solent for a lovely relaxing family day by the sea. Step inside and discover the atmospheric recreation of how the rooms were used in the 16th century, and see the exhibition about the many wrecks which occurred in the treacherous stretch of sea which the castle overlooks. This was the last and most sophisticated addition to Henry VIII's coastal defences; it was completed after his death in 1547, with the first new-style 'arrowhead' artillery bastion built in England.
Admission
Adults: £3.60 until 31 Mar 2010 / £3.80 from 1 Apr 2010
Children: £1.80 until 31 Mar 2010 / £1.90 from 1 Apr 2010
Concessions: £3.10 until 31 Mar 2010 / £3.20 from 1 Apr 2010
EH Member Cost: Free

Information from English Heritage website

Yarmouth Castle is a Listed Building. Here's what the official description says about it:

YARMOUTH

SZ3589 QUAY STREET
1354-0/10/383 (North side)
Yarmouth Castle


I

Former coastal fort now a Scheduled Ancient Monument. Begun
after the French raid of 1545, the last of Henry VIII's
coastal forts and in use by 1547. Builder George Mills. The
arrow-headed bastion was a new departure in fortifications and
the first to be built in England. c.1560. The building was
modified by Richard Worsley, Captain of the Island and minor
alterations were made in the following century until c.1670
when Sir Robert Holmes, Governor of the Island filled in the
moat, renewed additions and established the present entrance.
It was garrisoned until 1885. Built of ashlar, part of south
front red brick. Square in plan with sides nearly 100 feet
long and sharply pointed bastion at South east corner. North
and west walls face the sea, South and east sides originally
were protected by a moat. The original entrance was to the
east with 4 centred arched entrance with carved royal coat of
arms above. The present entrance in the south side also has a
4 centred archway. To the right is the early C17 gunner's
lodging and brick magazine of c.1718 which has a
beehive-shaped roof. To the left is the Master Gunner's house
of c1560 with top storey added in 1609. This is of ashlar with
renewed slate roof having gable ends with kneelers. 3 storeys.
3 windows. Attic floor has gabled dormers with kneelrs.
Mullioned windows 4 centred arched doorcase to left hand side.
Ground floor kitchen has massive wooden lintel to fireplace
and bread-oven. Corner has garderobe pit. One 1st floor
chamber has a C17 stone fireplace with plain chamfer end beam
with ovolo moulding and bar stops. The other chamber has a 4
centred arched fireplace and beam with heart shaped stops
(1609), 4 centred arched fireplace with high stops and
relieving arch and small garderobe chamber in the corner with
square- headed opening. Attic room over kitchen has renewed
roof of scalloped principal rafters and tie beam with
heart-shaped stop. Attic room over parlour has C17 brick
fireplace and plain collar beam roof. To the right hand side
in the Long Room of 1632 constructed on top of 4 earlier
barrel vaults. This is of brick with tiled roof and has a roof
structure with tie beams and collar. The platform was
constructed between 1559-1565 to carry all the heavier
armament of the castle parapet with parapet of 1632. Its
rounded internal angles date from 1813. It has the remains of
4 rails from the traversing carriage of C19 guns.
(S E Rigold: Yarmouth Castle 2nd edition 1978 an English
Heritage handbook; V C H Hampshire: 289; N Pevsner: B O E
Hampshire: 776 - 777).


Listing NGR: SZ3538889774

Information from British Listed Buildings


Share |